Email Dave at: 




Just thinkin'!

At the risk of hurting myself, I've been thinking again about things from my childhood days. Why some of these things pop up in my head is beyond me, but here goes.

Curb Feelers-Remember those wire gadgets that fastened to the rocker panels of cars, one just behind the front tire and one in front of the rear tire that let you know when you were close enough to the curb to be safely parked? Of course they must have come out in the latter 50's because as I remember, at least in Greenfield, cars angle parked downtown in the early 50's.

Wing Fins-Some Wing Fins were chrome and some were plastic and transparent. They had a metal snap that snapped onto the window wings on both front doors. I have often wondered WHY they were made and WHY I don't recall ever seeing them at any yard sales, and I've been going to yard sales since the mid 1970's.

Grill Lights- Can anyone tell me what that single white light was intended for that a lot of people put on the center of their automobile grill in the late 50's and early 60's? I've never figured them out.

Fender Skirts-There isn't much to say about them other than I think my 1990 T-Bird would look kinda' neat with a set over the back wheels.

Blue Tail lights-Remember how nice the tail lights on a 1955 Chevy looked where the owner had installed the quarter size, blue tail light buttons. At night when you stepped on the break pedal, the tail lights would glow sort of a light blue to pink light. It's my understanding they are illegal in Ohio now, if you can find them.

I remember in the early to mid 50's we got a pair of paper glasses in the mail with almost solid black, flimsy plastic lens to be used during an upcoming Solar Eclipse. We would wear them at night and watch cars come down the street. All you saw were two bright white lights that reminded us of some of the Sci-Fi movies of the day. I still remember Science class where everyone in the class was given a small amount of pure Mercury in the palm of their hand and was told to place a silver coin in the same palm and rub the mercury on the coin. It would shine brightly for a while. Has anyone ever seen a thermometer break and notice how the mercury would splatter everywhere? Ever wonder if any of that Science class mercury was accidentally ingested?

I noticed on eBay that they have started reproducing the plastic submarines that operated on baking soda placed in the bottom of the sub and when placed in a tub of water would slowly sink to the bottom then float to the top. They also made Frogmen that operated in the same way and these were cereal premiums.
Speaking of cereal premiums, General Mills, I believe they make Grape Nuts Flakes cereal, used to place small plastic cars, Ford's to be exact, in their cereal. I think they were 1955 and 1956 models with white plastic tires on them. The cars were fairly detailed, and in one pastel color. I have never seen them for sale anywhere either.

Lastly, I also took the test on Ron Coffey's website and without disclosing my score, it would explain the brain concussion and semi coma I suffered from at age 3. For those who would really like a challenge, go to and take their test. It's based on various factors of ones health, eating habits, exercise, etc, etc. I did and although I'm well on the way to the age of 63, the test showed I was actually 81 years and 6 months old. Believe me I feel it everyday. 5/23/2007


Driver's Training Class

It was 1961. I was beginning Driver's Training class taught by Dean Waddell. I can't remember who all was in the class, but there was one fellow I do remember. David Davenport. The school had a brand new 1961 Chevrolet, Stick Shift of course, and Dave Davenport was the first one behind the wheel. We were driving North on North Fourth Street and had just crossed North Street and Dave was just about as nervous as a person could be. Anyone who remembers him will remember he had a contagious laugh. We were approaching the old Wolf's Market and Dave's right foot started shaking so bad that the car was lurching forward, then stopping, then forward again for almost the entire block. I didn't think a stick shift could do that so many times and not have the engine die and Davenport was doubled over the wheel laughing so hard I thought he was going to have an accident, and not with the car. At any rate, when we came to McClain Street, we got a new driver.

One day I was behind the wheel and I wasn't doing any better than Dave Davenport. I came across Edgewood at the McClain Street jog, and as I started past the old Shoe Factory, Now Research, I actually kicked the accelerator pedal off. Then after a few weeks of driving I became a little more confident until I rounded a corner a little too fast and Mr. Waddell's black book that all the teacher's carried then, along with several papers slipped off the dash. Well, Mr. Waddell's first instinct was naturally to grab for the papers and book. At the same time, my first instinct was to stop the car. To make a long story short, Mr. Waddell's head and the car's glove box became rather intimate for a short time. Needless to say he was just a bit upset with me, however, not as upset as he was the day I was driving south on 8th Street and came up on Jefferson Street. When I pulled out onto Jefferson Street toward the school i ran over the curb on the south side of the street and over corrected, crossed both lanes and jumped the curb on the north side of Jefferson Street, then crossing back again into the correct lane. This will explain why Mr. Waddell never allowed Dave Davenport nor I to drive in the downtown area. You must remember that back in those days, there wasn't near the amount of cars or traffic on the various streets as there is now. How I ever passed that class is beyond me, especially since I got into the habit of skipping that class a lot since it was the last morning class before lunch and I'd hide out in Penny's. I can still hear Glenn's voice say, "Here comes Mr. Turner". 11/16/2006




I read your article on Outhouses and it brought to mind a few of the experiences I have gone thru in the Old Days. I grew up thinking outhouses were a thing of the past even back in the 50's and 60's. Boy was I ever wrong. Of course, growing up in Greenfield, we had plumbing. At any rate I remember one time back around 1970 or 1971 when my wife and I were visiting some relatives in Lattaville, just East of Greenfield.

Well, Mother Nature called on me and I had no choice but to head out the back door, down a grape arbor covered row of flat rocks to the throne. There was no cement in, on, or even near the structure. All of it was made of wood which gave the appearance it was made sometime just before Noah made the Ark. It was a modern, two seater. It was a breezy summer day and if you left the door cracked open just a bit, you had a perfect view of Route 28, just about 65 feet away. At any rate, I decided a cigarette was in order, for a couple of reasons. Anyway, as I sat there, I noticed the back of the building was dilapidated and there was a nice breeze blowing around the building and thru the various openings in the back. I never gave it a second thought until I threw my cigarette into the hole beside me. That's when reality set in. You should realize by now that most of the older outhouse pits were no longer pits, just very hard, well, you get the idea. Well, my cigarette ignited some old toilet paper. After that, things moved very, very fast, including yours truly. The wind blowing thru the back of the outhouse fueled the already ignited paper, which shot a flame about 2 feet high right up thru the middle of the seat. Mind you, NOT the seat next to me but rather the one I was on. Luckily I had left the door ajar eliminating one very important step because I jumped up and waddled, as fast as a grown man can waddle, out the door toward Route 28. Luckily, no one was driving past at the time because I would have been doubly ashamed of causing both a fire and a wreck had a driver seen me running out of the privy with my pants down. I did regain my composure and got everything in proper order including the fire put out.

I told the relative that perhaps a couple of Thunder Mugs might be in order, one for their use and one for guest as the outhouse went way beyond and nightmare one could dream up. Well, just in case anyone else cares to tell on themselves, I got the ball rolling. 11/30/05

TV Days Gone By

I've been thinking about some of the old television programs I used to watch back in the early 1950's and thought it might bring back some long forgotten memories of anyone who might read this. There was a music program called, "Your Hit Parade" that started in 1952. There were four singers, Russell Arms, Snooky Lanson, Gisele Mackenzie and Dorothy Collins and they sang the songs that were popular at the time. Then the was Death Valley Days presented by a gentleman known only as "The Old Ranger". The shows format was "Westerns" and was produced by 20 Mule Team Borax. I even found a site where you can watch some of the programs from your computer. Then there was a show called "77 Sunset Strip". It starred Efram Zimbalist Jr, Roger Smith, and Ed, Kooky Burns". Zimbalist and Smith played private Eyes. There was one episode that contained absolutely no dialog at all. It was even advertised as such. Of course there was "The Mickey Mouse Club" with Annette Funicello as one of the big names and there was a serial TV show that aired during the Mickey Mouse Show called Spin and Marty. It was about a group of teenage boys on a ranch out west. Tim Considine starred in it. There was the "Amos and Andy Show". "Gunsmoke" aired every Saturday night sponsored by Household Finance Corporation followed by a show called "The Ohio Story". Of course we had local shows such as Ruth Lyons, Midwestern Hayride, The Sally Flowers Show, The Gene Fullen Show out of Columbus. I remember watching Gene Fullen one day and he had a very young Conway Twitty singing, It's Only Make Believe". That song hit number 1 in 1958 so I would assume that was the year the program aired and as with all the other local shows, were live broadcasts. Channel 10 in Columbus aired a local program called, "Flippo The Clown" and of course there was the national broadcast of "The Howdy Doody Show, with such notables and Buffalo Bob, Claribel the Clown and Chief Thunderthud. I remember a show I believe was called, "Rocky Lane, Detective". It was only like a 15 minute show and was a one man show. The main character was always dressed in a trench coat and wide brim hat and was always standing behind a kitchen table and would relate the days happenings at the police station to his imaginary wife. His was the only voice heard on the program. What person, as a teenager in the 1950's, doesn't remember running home from school to catch the daily "American Bandstand", with Dick Clark? He would showcase the newest singers of the day. I remember seeing Frankie Avalon, Dion, Bobby Darrin, Jackie Wilson, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, Richie Valens, Little Anthony and the Imperials, Del Shannon, Chuck Berry, The Platters, The Everly Brothers, along with hundreds of others doing their first television performances. I remember the fits that parents were having at the birth of "Rock and Roll". As I recall, Richie Valens stands out because I can only remember 1 song he did called, Oh Donna. Shortly afterward, He along with Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper were killed in a plane crash. I remember when the first transistor radios came on the market. They were only AM broadcast, about the size of a pack of cigarettes and cost around 75 dollars at the time. The 50's was, in my opinion, the greatest decade there was. It introduced television to the masses. It gave birth to Rock and Roll, pegged pants, ducktails, It brought the outside world into our living rooms and as one door closed another opened, changing life forever. Although this post may seem a bit ho hum to some readers, it is meant to make readers who have gotten caught up in their lives and were around during this time, to take a breather and remember how their lives were in the 50's and hopefully put a smile on someone's face as they recall some of their own memories.

"Further Reflections"

I was thinking about Greenfield and a few things came to mind I thought I'd share. I was thinking about my Grandfather's home and business located on "The Island" as his business card that I have, mentions. Does anyone remember the "Old Way" to go to Bainbridge from Greenfield in the old days? You went down South Washington Street to Depot Street, around the "S" curve, past what is now Knisley's Body Shop, and around the curve to the right, around the "Old Red Barn" and down to the bottom of the hill, it wasn't much of a hill, and made a sharp turn to the left and crossed a little culvert past a Home on the left with an Iron fence in front with another red barn on your left, across the iron bridge over Paint Creek, and the disposal plant and up the hill to Rapid Forge road where you would make another left thru part of Thrifton and turn right, cross the railroad tracks and that was old Rt. 41 to Bainbridge. The home you would have past just past the aforementioned culvert was !

my grandparents home. My grandfather, Jesse Miley, sharpened all sorts of cutting tools, made knives, lamps, and file handles, clock shelves and the like. I still have some of the items he made. Where they lived, was indeed an island, as the culvert was a mill race that flowed down to power the old mill behind Grandpa's home about 200 yards South, then on the other side, of course, was Paint Creek. At the time, across from the Old Red Barn and across the road from where Knisley's is now, was an old quarry that was used as a dump for years. You could look down and barely see water for trash and such.

Does anyone remember Fern Hall? It was a skating rink located in the alley in the 300 block of Mirabeau Street on the south side. As I recall there was a Chiropractor that lived in the house in front of the Skating Rink. His last name was Noble. I remember skating there a couple of times but I think it was enjoyed by folks that were a bit older than I am.

Lastly, does anyone remember the Friday night auctions at the Harris Auction House. It was owned and operated by Wilbur Harris in the alley in the 300 block of Lafayette Street at 327 1/2 Lafayette to be exact. I remember many a Friday night at the auction house. It was usually packed with people. The building is still there. I just bet that if Wilbur, "Buck", knew that the antiques he sold back then were bringing ten to twenty times as much now as they did then, he would be fit to be tied. I have dealt in books and small antiques for well over 30 years and many a time have I seen an old Oak bed go for little or nothing back then only to make a major comeback and bring high dollar amounts nowadays.

"Another Trip Down Memory Lane"

Let's take another trip down memory lane. How many people remember the block just North of Jefferson and 4th Street on 4th? There used to be a Laundromat right behind the Marathon Station, almost where Tiffany's Beauty Shop was until last year. At one time, Wilma Smith had a store next door to it that sold records. I can remember going in and buying Kathy's Clown by the Everly Brothers and Sink The Bismarck by Johnny Horton;  that should give an investigative reader an idea of the year. Next to that on the alley was where the majority of seniors went to get their senior pictures taken by Louis Smith. Who can forget Pearce's Restaurant, aside from yours truly, in the 300 block of Jefferson Street where you could buy the best homemade doughnuts and tipararies on the planet. A couple of doors East was the United Department Store operated by Hy Tennenbaum. I worked for him along with Billy Rooks and the late Mike Manley. We were all school kids and did clean up and odd jobs at the store. Where Sitterles Insurance is now was Ennis' Men's Shop. Next door where the eye doctor is now and before Jones' hardware was there, was the A & P Grocery Store.

Let me back up the street a minute and as I remember there was a meat market just west of Blake's Coffee Shop and I remember the lady that worked in there. Her name was Charlotte Burns. I remember going in there with my Mother and Charlotte would always slice off a piece of sharp cheese and give it to me. 

I may have to refer to the reader's on this but it is my recollection that where the Fire Department is now used to be a used car lot owned by Lee West. It also seems to me that across Lafayette Street from his lot was another car lot that he owned. I remember a Sinclair Gas Station being across North Washington Street from the Fire Department. Of course who can forget Tiny's Restaurant next door to the Rand Theater.

I wonder how many locals remember when there was a red light on top of City Hall and what it was there for? It would light up and, as I remember, a bell would ring to inform which ever police officer on duty, that a call had come into the department. A good part of the time the police would be around the downtown area and a lot of the time, parked in a cruiser right in front of the station.

Ralph Bays owned Bays' Variety Store next to the Post Office and just west of there was Blackwell's Restaurant at one time. Bays moved across the street and down a bit about where the carpet store is now. At one time, in the second building east of the alley where Shuller's Restaurant was was the old Cussin and Fearn Store operated by Perry Roark. My oldest sister Patsy worked there as a sales clerk along with Floyd Bartley. 

A couple of other stores of interest would be Wolfe's Market located in the 300 block of North 4th, just behind the Pike Apartments on McClain Avenue. It is an apartment house now. Just north of there and around the corner in the 400 block of Spring street on the Northwest corner of the alley, Roy Skeens owned and operated Skeen's Market. Roy's father worked there too and since I grew up only one block west on Spring I remember many, many trips down there for penny candy or a Popsicle. I remember when Roy got in the first batch of Blueberry flavored Popsicles I had ever seen. It was in the mid 50's as I recall. It too is an apartment house now. 

One last note and maybe someone can clue me in to who owned it. On the corner of what is now Beatty Street and North 5th. Street was another little neighborhood market. 

I remember being in it a few times but all else about it is blank. Writer's note: I owe Sammi Miller for reminding me of Pearce's Doughnuts and Fred Martin for reminding me about Cussin and Fearn. Thanks. 9/20/2004

America's True Malt Shop, Penny's

I've been trying to come up with a way to describe Penny's to the unfortunate people of this community that never experienced it. It's not an easy thing to do. It was more than just a hangout,. it was a way of life. A home away from home. I remember as a kid going to places like the Green Door in Leesburg or the Wigwam in Hillsboro but they didn't even come close to Penny's. 

I remember the smell of the place. Glenn treated the floor every summer with something to preserve the wood. If you wanted to get inside on a home game Friday night you had best leave the game a little early. Kids were packed in there like sardines even if there was a dance at the school after the game. 

You would get the very best tasting burger in the world. At the end of the bar were the wire racks with Carroll's Potato Chips and you would get one and a bottle of mustard and a Coke and head for a booth.

The almost every Friday and/or Saturday night visit when the local Police, namely Eldon Newland and usually George Jolly would walk in, go to the back, shut the juke box off and give us all a speech about fighting and hanging around out in front. 

Gary Adams sitting out front on a Saturday afternoon playing guitar or the resident Fonzie at the time, 1961, 62, Junior Conrad with his hair slicked back and the ducktail. 

The Marathon station owned by Bus and Fats Cross or Standard Oil of Winston Price's that were the local relief stations and the fact that they, the owners, didn't care if the kids were going in and out.

Staying there until Glenn was ready to close so you could sweep the place out and clean the tables and such and Glenn would give you anything you wanted to eat or drink. 

September 3, 2004

Editor's note: For a little Penny's memorabilia visit this site

The Things We Played With

I was thinking the other day about some of the things I did as a young child and one of those was listening to the old radio programs. It would have been around 1949 or so. I'd sit and listen to programs like Fibber Magee and Molly who lived in a quaint little town called Wistful Vista. The Great Gildersleeve, Blondie and Dagwood. I'd sit and laugh and there's no way I would have understood what was being said. All I knew was that there were people laughing around me at the time. 

I also remember listening to Sergeant Preston of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Straight Arrow, Sky King. Then a few years later, probably 1951 or 52 we got our first Television and I'd sit and watch the Indian test pattern anxiously awaiting for the show to come on. That's when I finally got to see Sergeant Preston and Sky King. Along with Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy. 

These were the days when television was a learning lesson for kids, especially boys, as the cowboys were our heroes at the time and they always tried to teach a life lesson in each episode about truth, honesty, and fair play. I didn't realize it at the time but thanks to the Westerns Channel on cable I watch those same old shows and as hokey as it seems now, it was a lesson in life.

Does anyone remember Captain Midnight and saving up the labels from Ovaltine so you could send them in and get a Captain Midnight Decoder badge? I remember when Shredded Wheat came in a rectangular box with a picture of Niagara Falls on it and in between each row of biscuits was a cardboard card with stories on them or things to make presented by the Native American Indian, Straight Arrow. I used to have stacks of them. 

Does anyone remember the Navy Frogman or the Submarine you could get, either in cereal or as a mail in item. The frogman had a metal cap on the bottom of one foot and you would put baking soda in it and drop him in the water. Somehow when the water and baking soda mixed, the frogman would float to the top. The Submarine did the same thing. I wish I still had them. 

I remember Grape Nuts Flakes cereal used to put a car in every box. They were about and inch and a half or so long and were basic but the body style was of the 1954 Ford Crown Victoria. They made several different models over the short period of years they made them. All were a pale color of green, red, yellow with pure white wheels. I wish I had mine now as they are worth about 25 to 35 dollars. I also remember when the AMT company came out with their first model cars. I believe it was a 1957 Ford, in 1957. David Davenport and I would buy them, put them together and customize them. He always did a better job painting his than I did. And guess what? Patience is STILL not one of my virtues. 

Submitted 8/31/2004

Greenfield's Landscape

I was thinking the other day about how the landscape around Greenfield has changed. Take the corner of North 2nd and Jefferson street where Burger King is now. At one time, there were row houses, side by side literally, there. The house on the corner actually met the sidewalk on both the west and south. These houses where like that all the way down, East, to just about where the Cruz thru driveway ends, on the East. The house on the end was occupied by Grace Blackwell who worked for a time for the Sears Catalog order business now occupied by Freshour's Video. Graces' porch faced East. A standard farm style fence separated her property from Ernie Kerns Gas Station, now KFC/Taco Bell. Next to Graces house on the West was Traveler's Rest which was occupied by my Aunt and Uncle, Jess and Francis Clouser. Some may remember Jess as he would walk from home to the corner of 5th and Jefferson Street every night at 7 pm to listen to the music being played at the Presbyterian Church.

The odd thing was that Uncle Jess was completely deaf. He'd stand there on the corner leaning on his cane with his pipe in his mouth and listen intently until the music quit. 

Across the alley from Ernie Kern's station, was another small section of row houses. On the alley was where Bill Baker and his parents and sister lived. The first house that was actually separate from the row houses now sits behind Walker's Car Lot on Route 28 on the left just before the flashing lights. 

Across Jefferson Street from Bakers was a hill. I can't remember exactly how high it was but it was considerably higher than it is now and sitting about where the speed bumps are when you enter Detty's parking lot was where the home of Judge Ada Stultz was located. As anyone now will notice a set of steps leading from the street to the Century House, the opposite corner where the Merchant's Bank, East Branch, is, was a set of steps even higher than those at the Century House and when you reached the sidewalk, there was another set of Row houses, two stories high that ran to about the west side of the parking lot of the bank.

Basically, it was quite a drop from Front Street, MacArthur Way, down to cross the old iron bridge over Paint Creek. You would drive over the Railroad tracks by the old Trestle at the East end of the Bridge. There was also an old building on a hill just across the bridge on the left that I think was a plumbing supply business, but I'm not sure. There were also a group of houses right on the road on the left. Probably 4 or 5 of them. As I recall, Fred Fox lived in one of them at one time. That was a very low area and on certain occasions when we had a really hard rain, Route 28 in front of those houses would flood. 

Now Across the alley from the Post Office was an old barn used by the Historical Society to store various items that are now in the one Depot. There was a gravel parking lot between the barn and Jefferson Street, then more Row houses with apartments upstairs and businesses on the first floor, one of which was a Bar called Ade's Place. 

Where the classrooms and Ag shop is now on the corner of North 5th. Street and Lafayette Street were three homes built by E.L. McClain and they were basically the same in architecture and they too were on a hill. There were probably 4 or 5 steps to reach the sidewalk up to the front doors. The one on the corner of Lafayette was occupied by Art Miller and his family. Art was Maintenance Supervisor for the school. The middle one was the Superintendent's office and the third one, next to the alley was occupied by the School Transportation Supervisor, Bob Zurface and his family. Behind the houses were separate garages and the driveway that ran from Lafayette to the alley between the homes and garages, was a brick style drive but looked like it was made of wood similar to the driveway that ran behind the High School Gym back in the 40's and 50's.

Now where the Life Squad building is now, it being up on a small hill from the road, sat an old Gas Station that was actually in a small dip in the landscape. I can't remember what brand of gas but Shell comes to mind. Maybe a reader out there knows. I do know there used to be a dump in the area way before my time. As I recall when they were digging to bury the gas tanks for the Jonco gas station on the corner of Ludlow and North Washington Street, they had to suspend the digging as some local residents were jumping into the pits to gather the old, antique bottles that were found during the dig. I hope that any readers will enjoy these memories of Greenfield in "The Good Old Days".

Submitted Thursday, August 19, 2004

Editor's notes:

  • The house that was moved to near Walker's was once called Grandma's Garrett. Originally, it was one of the homes sold by Sears & Roebuck and delivered in kit form via railroad. I've heard that there are other such homes in Greenfield.

  • I didn't know it his name but I do remember the elderly gentleman who appeared each evening to listen to the Presbyterian Church's music. I didn't know he was deft, but I assume he could sense the vibrations.

  • Possibly I'm wrong but I think the Jonco station was on the corner of Second and Jefferson. Certified was at N. Washington and Ludlow.

As I remember it, the old gentleman who walked every evening to hear the Church Chimes, was "Old Ed Bennett." He would start out, cane in hand, every afternoon, to 'hear' the chimes. He was a widower, and horrified at the thought of being buried in the ground, has a crypt next to his wife at the Mausoleum in the Greenfield Cemetery. 

Anonymous, 8/27/04


My memories of Greenfield when I was growing up here keep streaming into my mind every time I drive around town and see the differences that time has made. I remember Ashling's Hardware which was located in the west side of Castle hallmark now. Ray Ashling owned and operated it. He sold everything from glassware, to plumbing and heating supplies, to luggage to horse saddles. I would go in and check out his latest supply of Roy Rogers or Gene Autry cap guns. As I recall, next door, west of his store was the Famous 5 and Dime Store. They too sold most everything from clothes to toys. I remember buying my first Derringer cap gun there. It was made by The Nichols Toy Company. It came with a plastic slide on the belt holster. They were less than a dollar then. I still have one in the original box. Their value has gone up however. I remember there being a grocery store on the corner of the alley. I can't remember the name however. West of there about where the license bureau is now, was the Eavey's supermarket. Upstairs was what was called a Duck Pin bowling alley. I was never in there so I can't give a description of it. Across the street where Scott's Pizza is, was Stewart's Pharmacy. Johnny Stewart owned and operated it. They even had a soda fountain there. West of it was a ladies clothing store called the Shirley Shop. S & S Bootery owned by the Strains was just east of Scott's, where the Karate school is now. On the corner of Jefferson and Washington Streets, where Starfire Express is, was a large building known as Greenfield Furniture. A small Western Union office was directly behind it on South Washington Street. Just east of the furniture store was what appeared, when you first walked in, an empty building. However, as you walking toward the back you would find a Black gentleman who was the local Tailor. His name was Harry Loggan's. My dad always took his suits there to be repaired. Harry was a wonderful man as I recall. He was always cheerful and pleasant to talk with. Just east of his place was Moore's store. I believe there was even a doorway from Harry Loggan's place into the Moore's store. I can't remember if Carl Hall managed the store or not, but he had a Radio and TV repair shop in the back. Of course who can forget Eric Nickle's shop. He sold musical instruments. The only thing you had to be sure of was that if you ventured in, you had better has something specific in mind to buy or Eric would see to it you ventured right back out the door. I can also remember Flynn's Meat Market on the corner of the alley across from the People's National bank on South Washington St. next door was Orlando's store. You shouldn't be surprised to be walking down that way and the owner who we referred to as "Old Man Orlando" would try to snatch you up and take you inside to buy something. Below there toward the Elliott Hotel was Elberfeld's Bakery. One thing I do remember was something that happened every once in a while on Saturday night. The Police, generally 2 of them, would go to the courtyard next to the city building just about dusk and start firing shotgun's into the trees. They would haul away bushel baskets full of Starlings, or any other feathered creature that might be so unlucky as to be perched in the large trees that stood there. Why they did it is a mystery. Maybe they were ordered to by the Mayor or Council, maybe they were just a nuisance, I don't know but to a kid it was just plain fun to sit and watch. The PETA folks today, would have had a heart attack if they saw that done today. As we all know, those birds should be with their families. Gossett's Bookstore, was across Jefferson St. Back in the mid 50's if I had a book report to do for school, I'd go there and buy the Classic's Illustrated comic book version of whatever the report was on, be it A Tale of Two Cities, Ivanhoe, or whatever. Oddly enough, I got a fairly good grade. One more thing, talking about comic books. "Doc" Phillips had a Drug Store on the northwest corner of Jefferson Street. He sold everything from medicine to tobacco, to comics as did Corner Pharmacy. I'd go in there every week to buy the latest Dell comic of my favorite TV western, be it Wyatt Earp, Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, Gene Autry, Lash Larue or whoever. They cost 10 cents each then. Wib Seilkop, the owner also had a soda fountain in there until about 1956 or so. Well, that seems like quite a bit for now. Watch for more memories from me if you're interested.

Dave Miley, 


I can remember Fred Wagoner's barbershop. My parents sent me there as a kid. They had 3 chairs with Fred's being the first chair as you went in. Then Fred Fox cut hair in the middle chair and later, Dave Leaverton came to town and started cutting hair in the third chair. I also remember when the Sears Catalog store was next door which is Freshour's Video now. I also remember the old Harper Hotel was on the West side of the barbershop. Randolph Cooper worked behind the desk and we would get our Sunday paper there every week after church. How many remember Ernie Kerns gas station? I'm not one hundred percent sure, but I believe part of the building where KFC is now is part of the original gas station. I played sandlot baseball behind there. We would pick up old lead tire weights and Bill Baker and myself would take them to Charlie Cohen's Junk Yard on Smith street and sell them for candy and pop money. I also remember Hixon Oil Company was down the hill under the bridge just East of Grain and Hay. My one sister worked there. 

How about Robert's Root beer Stand that was located on the Northwest corner of 8th and McClain Streets. The best Root Beer ever. Also across the street at the community baseball field, stood and 5 or 6 sided, 2 story building that was used to sell pop and candy for the ball game visitors and the announcer's booth upstairs. Remember the old wooden bleachers that were covered on 3 sides and roofed over with doors on 8th Street where ball supplies were kept? I wish someone had a photo of that because the only sign of it ever being there now is a small patch of cement in the grass along 8th St.. Anyone ever buy gas at Shad's Service Station? Shad Gossett owned it and it was located on the corner of South 2nd. Street and Jefferson. I can remember a lot more but there is too much to post at once. One last thing though. How about the little grocery store that was in part of the house located on the corner of Mirabeau and 5th, on the Northwest Corner? I remember going in there and buying little miniature loaves of Wonder Bread. They were one solid piece of bread, loaf shaped and about 5 inches long and inch and a half wide. Well, I'll ad more images from the past if anyone is interested.

Dave Miley, 


As I remember it, the old gentleman who walked every evening to hear the Church Chimes, was "Old Ed Bennett." He would start out, cane in hand, every afternoon, to 'hear' the chimes. He was a widower, and horrified at the thought of being buried in the ground, has a crypt next to his wife at the Mausoleum in the Greenfield Cemetery. 

Anonymous, 8/27/04